Monday, July 9, 2007

Stalking the dreaded Great Spangled Fritillary of Brookfield


The Great Spangled Fritillary


I've seen this guy fluttering about the yard for the past week or so but he wouldn't settle down and pose until this afternoon. In the end he stuck around for quite a while. I believe this is a Great Spangled Fritillary. I also got a few shots of some new dragonflies. If you're interested have a look at the Flickr page. The insect collection is getting a bit large (62 photos as of today). I guess for me the attraction is the fact that they are relatively simple and yet extraordinarily elegant and beautiful biological machines. I'm also fascinated by the trend they've inspired in robotics design, providing an interesting opportunity for amateur enthusiasts to experiment with artificial lifeforms.

No comments: