Monday, April 30, 2007

An entire corporation dumber than Imus?

This was interesting, if only because it illustrates an enormous level of stupidity. Sony, promoting a video game, apparently used a freshly slaughtered goat as a centerpiece at a party celebrating the games release.

Sometimes I think corporate culture has "progressed" to roughly the same point Rome reached in the final days of empire. The usual mea culpa language is thrown out in response: they're conducting an "internal investigation" to find out how this could have happened and "on this occasion we recognize that we fell short of our normal high standards of conduct". I hear that so often that at this point all it does is make me laugh out loud. I'd prefer they just said "we're overzealous idiots who didn't think this thing through and it is our hope you will eventually forget about this and keep buying our stuff". This from a company that just went through a root-kit fiasco, releases proprietary devices like the PSP (UMD? So I can repurchase my video library to view on a two inch screen?) and Blue-Ray, and is busily squandering their market dominance in the video game console market with the overpriced PS3. You could buy a decent and infinitely more versatile computer with a much larger library of games for less money than the PS3. It might not be as "sexy", but let's be honest - we're talking about something that probably isn't going to get you sex anyways.

This was an event for the latest version of God of War, their flagship game. If you don't think this event was micromanaged to excess you're left to believe they are totally incompetent...

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9714156-7.html

1 comment:

bk said...

Hey Jack,
Also completely off-topic, thanks for the comment over at 3rd Coast. Your opening post here has some nice barbs aimed at Scientology and the like. I'm totally on board with you there.

As for the Ancient Clown, I'm sure he's a good guy, but his abuse and misuse of physics makes my blood boil. He has a blog, but I really don't want to advertise him anymore than I already have.