Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Adobe CS3 for free?

Well, not quite. This is from the Daily Download over on CNet. It's a list of free alternatives to the programs in Adobe's Creative Suite 3, a $2500 software package. While not all of it is as sophisticated as it's Adobe counterparts some of it is extremely solid. I've used the Gimp before and would definitely recommend it as a Photoshop replacement. After reading this article I think I'm also going to try Komposer (the Dreamweaver substitute).

At the very least the article is a good introduction to the open source movement. If anyone has any experience with any of the programs listed please feel free to leave a comment with your impressions...

Part One:
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9714054-12.html?tag=head
Part Two:
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9714110-12.html?tag=more

Read more about the open source concept at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely try this. I'm starting to feel my photoshop is out of date and I really need to upgrade. I did get dreamweaver and never installed it. Maybe I'll forego that and try this first. Anything quality open source stuff you do find, you should update this blog. I'm not much of a browser, but I'll always check back here for updates. Food for thought.

Jack Ludwig said...

I'll definitely cover more open source software in future blogs. In fact, there's a pretty cool game I was thinking about plugging so check back in the next couple of days. I recently installed Ubuntu on a couple of machines and I'll probably check out some of the Office-type packages as well...