Thursday, May 17, 2007

Six of one...

I had lunch with an old friend today. The conversation turned to politics and he told me that he really couldn't wait for the Bush presidency to end, likening it to "senior-itis", that period near the end of high school when everything is essentially said and done and you're in that state of limbo, waiting to move on with your life. Formerly a staunch republican, he's now considering changing his voting registration to independent. Contemplating some recent well-publicized corporate scandals as well as his own experience working for a corporation, he remarked, somewhat horrified, that he thought he might be turning into a liberal. It's a condition afflicting many of my thoughtful conservative friends. These people I once turned to for a good-natured (if sometimes heated) argument seem to have the wind taken from their sails. The best I can get is half-hearted and that's really no fun. Far from claiming victory I credit those friends now willing to take their lumps, because in my mind they're the victims of betrayal.

It's not all rosy on the other side. I like the recent strong stand by the Congress but I know which way the political winds are blowing and there is no doubt in my mind that when it changes course it's all going to fall apart again. Hillary won't go away as a candidate. Like George Bush, I'm sure she has an agenda and one which we won't have an inkling of until the day she assumes office. I'll credit her for sticking to her position on the war when so many others have done a politically motivated about face. It's just too bad that position is the same one that ensures GW's legacy as the worst president in American history. The irony is that she is probably the candidate most hated by those on the right. If she gets the nod it's gonna be ugly. Given the democrats proven ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I'd have to call her the current favorite.

Sadly I don't see any candidates on either side that inspire. It's so bad that I've heard people calling for Al Gore to make another run (although he's gotten a bit puffy - maybe we shouldn't ask for more than a brisk walk). Barrack seems kind of hip and groovy but, as the folks at Fox News have repeatedly asked, is America ready for a president who's middle name is "Hussein"? (Yes, they really did ask that). Personally I'd like to see Bill Bradley throw his hat in the ring but I get the impression he's just as disgusted by the state of things as I am.

So I'd just like to let all my conservative friends know that this lefty is now a registered independent as well. Maybe we can all get together and ignore the neo-nazis and the dirty hippies and the one-issue voters and the sound-bite quoters. Maybe we can fend off the influence of the lobbyists and the Hollywood elite and Karl Rove, whichever campaign he should happen to infest. Maybe we can demand leadership, accountability and a government that governs instead of campaigning. Maybe we can get Ross Perot to jump in, so at the very least this thing is entertaining. Because I've got the senior-itis too, and it would be really nice to look forward to something good.

Sorry for ranting...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still a republican! but when i see republican candidates are nothing but white dudes, that are focused on the past (Reagan) instead of the future, that vilify Giuliani for having a mainstream view on abortion, I see a party that is grossly out of touch with america. Barack Obama should lead america towards a centrist party with Schwartzeneggar as his Veep!

Jack Ludwig said...

I think Giuliani likes dressing up as a woman too much for the republicans. I really need to read up on Obama - I like him but I really don't know enough about him. As far as Arnold is concerned, why not just drop him in Iraq with a pair of M60s and let him mop shit up? I saw Commando...

Anonymous said...

After the election of '06, I changed my registration as well. Being able to vote in primarys is hardly a good reason to label myself as something other than a free thinker. With change on the horizon, I'm not convinced it's for the better. Although it can't be for the worst. I see it more as sitting outside the principal's office, awaiting punishment for something you've done wrong. Despite the crime, it could end with a stern talking to, or suspension, but either way, you're just awaiting the inevitable mop-up to something gone so wrong.

Jack Ludwig said...

Funny how the Bush administration inspires so many high school analogies. I agree - anything will be better but I don't know that we're going to get much better.