Friday, May 18, 2007

Survey of area fast food, revisited

I'm going to continue this idea one restaurant at a time, when I happen to visit one which I haven't already covered. I figure this will allow me to approach the topic with a relatively fresh impression (ensuring that I will experience at least something fresh that day).

Today I went to Burger King, another chain with really creepy advertising. Burger King ads feature a masked "king" breaking into people's homes and offering them food. If I rolled over in bed and found this fast-food Jason lying next to me my first thought wouldn't be a ninety-nine cent breakfast. Of course on the flippity-flop (yeah, I just said that - go back and read it again if you don't believe me) I suppose from a marketing perspective anything is better than focusing on the food. The truth is the only reason I bring up the "evil king" at all is because the subtotal on my receipt was $6.66 and if I'm going to fast food hell I'm naming names...

The truth is I've always had a soft spot of sorts for Burger King, in the sense that when I think of the lowest of the low - McDonalds, Taco Bell, et al - I tend to cut BK a little bit of slack. Just a bit, like "dug out of a dumpster" versus "destined for the dumpster", but the distinction is there. I've only recently figured this out - when I was ten years old Burger King gave out New York Yankees baseball cards. Somehow that little marketing mind-fuck is still paying dividends all these years later.

On to the menu, not all that different from what I ate at McDonalds. In truth, it was just a little bit better. Although I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it, I kind of liked the chicken fries. Very overprocessed chicken but slender enough you could ignore the texture. There was some seasoning which kept the fryer-grease flavor at bay. Best of all? No detectable beaks or feet!

The seeded bun for the burger was an added bonus over McDonalds, making it at least look like food and not some sort of carrying case. I don't know if they actually grill on premises or paint on grill marks and spray it with "grill flavor" but either way they manage to vaguely convey the illusion. The fries were pretty standard.

I guess I'd choose BK over McDonalds. Thank god there are other alternatives...

Burger King Nutritional Information

No comments: